Visas and permits

To enter the Netherlands for study purposes, you might need a visa and/or a residence permit.

Whether you need a visa or not, depends on:

  1. Your nationality – as stated on your passport.
  2. The duration of your stay: shorter or longer than three months.
  3. Your purpose of stay: we assume that you will come to Holland to study or to do a preparatory year. For any other purpose of stay, please check the website of the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) for the requirements.

Find out which visa you need

Our visa wizard will show you  which immigration procedure applies to you.

Go to the visa application wizard

When you enrol in a study programme, your host institution will contact you to start up the application procedure. If not, ask for help by contacting the department dealing with international student mobility. Usually this will be the institution’s international office.

Start preparations early

Although the IND will generally process your application within two weeks, we recommend that you start the process early (about three months before you plan to enter the Netherlands). It may take some time for you to collect all the relevant documents.

last modified Apr 28, 2014 10:33 AM
Was this information useful?