KIT Royal Tropical Institute is supporting the National Institute of Training in Health Sciences (INFSS) in Mali to strengthen its educational capacity in Sexual and Reproductive Health. INFSS is Mali’s reference institute for Bachelor- and Master-level training of paramedics. After their graduation these paramedics provide Sexual and Reproductive Health services throughout Mali. Altogether, INFSS trains about half of all the nurses and midwifes at Bachelor level and about all the Master level specialist nurses and midwifes in Mali. INFSS is based in Bamako the capital and has four dependences in different regions in Mali.
INFSS aims to enhance the quality of its graduates in the area of sexual and reproductive health, in order to contribute to the Government’s goal of ensuring better reproductive health of the Malian population.
What are the main aims?
- Launch a new Master of Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Strengthen INFSS’ institutional capacity and educational infrastructure
- Obtain accreditation at the regional level, from the West-African Health Organization; and at the national level
What are the focus themes/strategies?
SRHR curriculum development, improving quality of education and research, strengthening human resource management and financial procedures, and mainstreaming gender throughout the institute.
The following results are worked on for a duration of 5 years:
1) Launch of a new Master of Reproductive Health
- A new competency-based Master’s degree focusing on Sexual and Reproductive Health, with the content based on a thorough analysis of the labour market in Mali
- A strong network for internship placements for the Master of Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Training of teachers for the MSc SRHR, through short courses, modules, master training and a PhD trajectory in Mali and the Netherlands
- INFSS’ research department strengthened in conducting research that is relevant to enhancing SRHR in Mali
2) Strengthening institutional capacity and educational infrastructure
- Ensuring INFSS’ institutional management and quality assurance mechanisms, including improving the educational infrastructure, human resource management and development, financial management, and communication, are strengthened
3) Supporting INFSS in obtaining national and international accreditation
- Through the above, INFSS will adhere to the national (National Agency for Evaluation and Accreditation) and regional (West-African Health Organization) accreditation standards and will obtain accreditation