Rhiannon Pyburn is a specialist in multi-stakeholder processes, institutional innovation, and gender equity in inclusive value chain development. Her education and practical experience lie in the facilitation of learning processes related to resource management and agricultural innovation systems, and in building inter-cultural and cross-disciplinary cooperation. She has worked on projects in Africa, Asia and Latin America, with longer periods in Côte D’Ivoire, Indonesia and India.
- Pyburn, Rhiannon and Geneviève Audet-Bélanger, Sabdiyo Dido, Gabriela Quiroga, Ingrid Flink (2015). Unleashing potential: gender and youth inclusive agri-food chains. KIT SNV Working Paper Series 7 – 2015.
- Pyburn, Rhiannon and Froukje Kruijssen (2015, in press). “Towards gender equitable aquaculture: the dynamics of participation, benefit sharing and changing social norms in fish value chains in the southwest of Bangladesh.” Journal of Gender, Agriculture and Food Security. September 2015 issue.
- Pyburn, Rhiannon and Noortje Verhart (forthcoming) “Making it Work for All: gender equity in certified coffee, tea and cocoa chains” LM Publishers, Amsterdam.
- Laven, Anna and Rhiannon Pyburn (2015). Facilitating gender inclusive agri-business. Knowledge Management for Development Journal. May 2015 issue 11(1): 10-30
- Pyburn, Rhiannon and Jim Woodhill (2014). Dynamics of Rural Innovation: a primer for emerging professionals. LM Publishers, Amsterdam.
- Sanyang, Sidi, Rhiannon Pyburn, Remco Mur and Genevieve Audet-Belanger (2014). Against the Grain and to the Roots: maize and cassava innovation platforms in West and Central Africa. KIT Publishers, Amsterdam.
- Faire Changer les Chaînes: équité entre les genres dans le développement des chaînes de valeur agricoles Laven & Pyburn (eds) (2013)
- Pyburn, R and J. Terrillon. ‘Achieving gender equity in agricultural value chains’ in New Agriculturalist (2013)
- Challenging Chains to Change: gender equity in agricultural value chain development. Laven & Pyburn (eds) (2012)
- Nederlof, E.S. and R. Pyburn (eds). One finger cannot lift a rock: Facilitating innovation platforms to trigger institutional change in West Africa (2012)
- Verhart, N. and R. Pyburn “Gender Equality in Certified Agricultural Value Chains”. In Harcourt, Wendy (ed). Women reclaiming sustainable livelihoods: spaces lost, spaces gained (2012)
- Blackmore, E, and Keeley, J with Pyburn, R., Mangnus E, Chen L. and Yuhui Q. Pro-poor certification: assessing the benefits of sustainability certification for small-scale farmers in Asia (2012)
- Verhart, N. and R. Pyburn The Rough Road to Gender Equitable Growth: The case of Café de Mujer Guatemala’ in Development 53(3), (2010)
- Pyburn, R. “Small farmer group certification to access socially and environmentally ‘just’ markets” in Ton et al (eds). Producer organisations and market chains – facilitating trajectories of change in developing countries. (2007).
- Pyburn, R. “Social Learning amongst social and environmental standard-setting organizations – the case of smallholder certification in the SASA Project” in Wals (ed) Social Learning towards a sustainable world. (2007)
- Pyburn, R., N. Sriskandarajah & A. Wals. “Social Responsibility in Organic Agriculture – Learning, Collaboration and Regulation” Chapter 14 in Kristiansen & Taji (eds). Organic Agriculture – A Global Perspective (2006).
- Leeuwis, C. & R. Pyburn (eds). Wheelbarrows full of frogs: social learning in rural resource management. (2002)
- Leeuwis, C. & R. Pyburn. “Social learning in rural resource management: Introduction to the book” In Leeuwis & Pyburn (eds). Wheelbarrows full of frogs: social learning in rural resource management. (2002)
- Leeuwis, C., R. Pyburn & André Boon. “Concluding reflections on social learning – tadpoles, lily pads and lotus flowers” In Leeuwis & Pyburn (eds). Wheelbarrows full of frogs: social learning in rural resource management. (2002)
- Pyburn, R. & I. Guijt. Capacity Building in IDRC-supported Networks: Analysis of the findings from an IDRC Strategic Evaluation 1995-2005 (2006)
- Kooistra, K., A. Termorshuizen & R. Pyburn. The Sustainability of Cotton – consequences for man and environment, (“Social and trade related aspects of sustainable cotton production and processing” Chapter 5 (2006)
- Pyburn, R.. Towards Best Practices for Group Certification A Report for the ISEAL Alliance. (2005)
- Guijt, I. & R. Pyburn. Agro-Biodiversity in Action – Portfolio Assessment of the HIVOS/NOVIB Biodiversity Fund (2004)
- WorldFish Gender-integrated fish value chain assessment in Southwest Bangladesh (2015)
- CGIAR Research Program (CRP) Livestock and Fish – support on gender integration in technical flagship research and interim leadership of the Gender Initiative (2014-2016)
- SNV-KIT partnership on gender and youth in value chain development (2014-15)
- Against the Grain and to Roots: learning from maize and cassava innovation platforms in West and Central Africa (Burkina Faso, The Gambia, Sierra Leone, Mali, Congo and Cameroon)
- Innovation Platforms in CIMMYT’s Maize CRP
- Convergence of Science: Strengthening Innovation Systems in Benin, Ghana and Mali
- Agri-Profocus Gender and value chain development coaching trajectory in Uganda and Rwanda
- Challenging Chains to Change; gender equity in agricultural value chain development (writeshop and book with translations into French and Spanish)
- Global Standards Initiative: gender equity in certified cocoa, tea and coffee chains
- Strengthening Women’s Economic Associations in Northern Uganda
- Sustainable Import Commodities – Top Sector Cocoa
- Writeshop: Dynamics of Rural Innovation – a primer for emerging professionals
- Small Producer Agency in the Globalised Market
- Mali Learning Alliance