Implementation of a quality management system according to international standards is deemed as a big challenge by many laboratory professionals. Nevertheless, implementation of this system is the key intervention to improve laboratory performance and create quality assured laboratory services.
During this course you will gain the theoretical background and practical expertise required to efficiently implement a quality management system that complies with the requirements of the ISO 15189 international quality standard for medical/public health laboratories.
DATOS & KIT
This training is organised by KIT in collaboration with DATOS.
DATOS has high level expertise in international laboratory strengthening and assists laboratories worldwide with quality management system implementation (www.datos-advice.nl). One of their main activities is training of laboratory professionals in laboratory quality management tool all over the world. DATOS collaborates with KIT to provide this course in the Netherlands.
Who should participate?
Quality officers, laboratory managers and laboratory technologists who are eager to learn more about quality management and accreditation are more than welcome to participate. Be quick to register, the number of entries is limited!
This training has been organised at KIT multiple times per year since 2015, with big success: participants give this training an average score of 9 out of 10. Read more about this on the website of DATOS.
This training module consists of three parts:
- Part 1 focuses on understanding the concept of quality and introducing the principles of quality management in the diagnostic/public health laboratory.
- Part 2 focuses on understanding and implementing ISO 15189 quality management system elements.
- Part 3 focuses on establishing the capacity to adequately plan the process of implementation of the quality management system in line with the routine daily work in the laboratory.
The training ends with a final assignment in which you will develop a quality year plan and action plans to kick-start implementation of the quality management system in your own laboratory. In the meantime you will even already start with developing some of the necessary documents for implementing the quality management system in your own laboratory.
One of the big benefits of this training, besides acquiring all the competences to implement a quality management system, is networking with fellow laboratory professionals from all corners of the world. You will have ample opportunity to exchange experiences during a social afternoon.
This training will be organised in the beautiful and historic city Amsterdam. During the social afternoon we will do a guided tour through the historic main building of KIT and a touristic trip across the historic center of Amsterdam, including a tour over the famous canals of Amsterdam, which are designated as world heritage site by UNESCO. Bring your walking shoes!
Availability of quality laboratory services is indispensable
Even though the results of diagnostic laboratory testing impact over 70% of all healthcare treatment decisions, laboratory services have long been a neglected part of the health care system. Over the past few years the crucial role of laboratories in diagnosis, treatment monitoring and public health surveillance is becoming more and more recognised.
Training is the Achilles heel of the laboratory system: without properly trained and confident staff it is almost impossible to provide quality services. This training is designed to help you:
- create basic knowledge of laboratory quality management principles.
- create an understanding of how an ISO 15189 based quality management system is integrated in the routine laboratory processes and how the routine work is affected by implementation of the quality management system.
- gain detailed insight in selected ISO 15189 quality system elements.
How to efficiently implement the quality management system
Although training provides an understanding of the concepts of quality and quality management, implementation of a quality management system on a day-to-day basis is often still perceived as a challenging process. To ensure that participants are able to efficiently implement the quality management system, they will be provided with the practical expertise to use the LQSI tool. This tool provides a stepwise plan for day-to-day implementation of a quality management system with background information, document templates and other tools are provided.
In summary, this training will provide the necessary knowledge, attitude and skills needed to efficiently implement and maintain an ISO 15189 based quality management system and adequately function in a medical laboratory that has such a system in place.
The training’s philosophy is that no laboratory should have to reinvent the wheel when implementing an ISO 15189 quality management system.
After this training you will be able to:
- explain and apply the principles of quality management.
- explain the purpose and mechanisms of individual ISO 15189 quality system elements in assuring quality laboratory services.
- implement an ISO 15189 compliant quality management system in the laboratory.
- apply expert planning skills to coordinate the process of quality management system implementation
- The training takes place on 3-7 September 2018 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- The training will be facilitated by two trainers with extensive experience in implementing ISO 15189 based quality management systems in medical/public health laboratories worldwide.
- The training is provided in English
The course fee includes:
- Course participation
- Student Health and Liability Insurance
- QMS Handbook
- Binder with handouts
- Course materials
- Coffee, tea, snacks
- Warm lunch (halal and vegetarian) every day of the course
- Canal tour through Amsterdam on the social afternoon
KIT has no grants available to sponsor applicants to participate in this training. Please go to our Scholarships Information page to find information about sponsors that might able to finance your participation.
This training will be organised at the Amsterdam Tropen Hotel, right next to the historic main building of KIT. The Amsterdam Tropen Hotel is an exceptional hotel near the city center of Amsterdam. It is located in the Oosterpark, which connects the hotel to the energetic city center, the tranquility of the park and to KIT.
The Amsterdam Tropen Hotel has made a special offer for participants of this training: during the training you can stay in this hotel for EUR 140,- per night, including breakfast and city tax!
If you want to make use of this special offer you can indicate this on the registration form.
- Does KIT provide funding to participate in this training?
No, KIT has no funds available to sponsor participants to participate in this training. Check our scholarship information page for information about sponsors that might be able to fund participation in this training.
- What happens after I have submitted the registration form to KIT?
After reception of your registration form the course committee will investigate whether you have the proper qualifications to participate in this training. When you are accepted to this training, you will receive an invoice. This invoice includes the required course fee and the cost for accommodation at the Amsterdam Tropen Hotel according to the special offer if you have decided to make use of this option.
- How do I pay the course fee?
You can pay the course fee through bank transfer. Details are provided on the invoice. If you make use of the special accommodation offer and stay at the Amsterdam Tropen Hotel, advance payment with credit card is also possible.
- Can I pay in advance for my stay at the Amsterdam Tropen Hotel?
If you make use of the special accommodation offer and stay at the Amsterdam Tropen Hotel, the fee for the entire duration of your stay (as you indicated on the registration form) will be included in the invoice that will be send to you after you have submitted your registration form.
- What is included in the special offer for accommodation at the Amsterdam Tropen Hotel?
The special offer of the Amsterdam Tropen Hotel of EUR includes stay in a modern room featured with stylish elements, such as hardwood floors, quiet, warm tones and international accents. All this from a sustainable perspective. You will stay in an 18 m2 room with double bed or two twin beds. The special offer also includes breakfast and tourist tax. Lunch is arranged on course days. The training is also provided at the Amsterdam Tropen Hotel which saves transport time, effort and costs. The Amsterdam Tropen Hotel is located near the center of Amsterdam, in an international neighborhood with many (international) restaurants and bars. Visit the website of the Amsterdam Tropen Hotel for more information.
- Which visa is required for the Netherlands?
Citizens of most countries of the EU or European Free Trade Association (EFTA) countries do not need a visa to enter the Netherlands. Participants from other countries must obtain a visa or residence permit to the Netherlands.A short-stay visa (Schengen visa) for up to three months must be arranged by the student through the Netherlands embassy or consulate covering the applicant’s country. You will need a letter of admission to the course and proof of sponsorship or sufficient funds to cover the course fee, travel and accommodation costs. You should take into account that in some countries this procedure can take months.
- How do I arrange Health and Liability insurance, because this is obligatory in the Netherlands?
Course participants are required by Dutch law to have health, accident and third party insurance. When you have paid, KIT will arrange insurance for you for the duration of the training plus two days in advance and two days after the end of the training. You will receive the insurance certificate from KIT in PDF format. If you are planning to stay for a longer period of time, you must insure yourself (and your dependents if they travel with you) in the Netherlands.
- I need an invitation letter, how can I request one?
Once KIT has received your payment of the course fee you can request an invitation letter through email@example.com. Please indicate any details that need to be included in your invitation letter.
- When can I start booking my flight tickets after I have paid the coursefee?
When KIT has received your payment of the course fee and if entries are still available, you will receive a letter of admission to the training and can start booking your tickets.
- I’ve chosen to make use of the special offer for accommodation at the Amsterdam Tropen Hotel. Is transport arranged from the airport to the hotel?
No transportation service is available. However, travelling in the Netherlands is very easy. Two weeks before the start of the training you will receive a practical information booklet, explaining the ways of getting around in the Netherlands, both by public transport and by taxi.
- What is the location of the course?
The course is organized at the Amsterdam Tropen Hotel, which is located in the Oosterpark, one of the biggest parks in Amsterdam, right next to the historic main building of KIT. The address of the course location is Linnaeusstraat 2C, 1092 CK Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Is lunch provided during the training?
Yes, warm lunch is provided on each course day. Coffee and tea as well.
- Is halal/vegetarian lunch available?
Yes, the warm lunch provided on each course day is halal. Vegetarian lunch is also available.
- Does the course schedule take into account praying time?
The course schedule does not take into account time for praying. However, if you need to pray at a specific time, please indicate this in advance to the course coordinator, so that the schedule can be adapted.
- I’ve paid the course fee but cannot participate after all. Does KIT reimburse the course fee?
- Cancellation six weeks or more before the first training day: 100% of the course fee will be reimbursed.
- Cancellation four weeks before the first training day: 75% of the course fee will be reimbursed.
- Cancellation three weeks before the start of the first training day: 50% of the course fee will be reimbursed.
- Cancellation two weeks or less before the start of the first training day: 0% of the course fee will be reimbursed.
Is your question not included in this list? E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why study at KIT?
Up-to-date approach to complex public health issues
Exchange between disciplines
Development of personal and professional competencies
Participants from diverse backgrounds and countries
Teaching by highly qualified specialists
Positively reviewed by tropEd
KIT: international centre of excellence in international health and development
Accredited by NVAO